Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyway to record commands and then run them
BatMUD > BatMUD forums > Batclient
guesser
some places require a long walk, but its the same walk. can i record this with a macro, then run them again? so i can just run the script to walk somewhere?
Tim
QUOTE(guesser @ May 8 2008, 03:50 PM) [snapback]1344[/snapback]
some places require a long walk, but its the same walk. can i record this with a macro, then run them again? so i can just run the script to walk somewhere?

There's currently no built-in functionality of the client to do this, or (to my knowledge) any server side support for recording macros in this manner.

There are probably several ways to achieve part of, or most of, what you ask about. I have always done this kind of thing quite manually in the past. It's a bit of a pain, but one tends not to have to do it very much. However, what you ask about seems to me to be a pretty useful piece of general functionality, worth having in the client.

If the client supported hooks/triggers on text sent to the mud, rather than retrieved, it would be fairly easy to write some triggers or a script or plugin to do the basics.

Since I don't believe this is possible at the moment, the only alternative that I can see would involve a setting in Batmud that echos all your commands and some triggers to pick these up. Unfortunately, this is either going to be quite messy or pretty limited in how well it works.

Tim
guesser
i have to walk to my guild an awful lot to train up skills. if i dont do this i risk dying and losing XP. isnt that what everyone does? I am new so just asking... you said you dont have to walk that far very often.
Tim
QUOTE(guesser @ May 8 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]1346[/snapback]
i have to walk to my guild an awful lot to train up skills. if i dont do this i risk dying and losing XP. isnt that what everyone does? I am new so just asking... you said you dont have to walk that far very often.

Sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear.

There is no easy built in way to record a series of commands, e.g. a journey, and then store the commands for automatic playback.

However, you can define client macros and batmud "commands" so that a short command causes quite a long series of commands to actually be sent or executed by the mud.

For example, I have some client macros for a few trips that I often make.

my "sc-docks" macro does something like:

set no_look_at_move on;W;4 w;NW;nw;2 ne;set no_look_at_move_off

This series of commands should take you from south cross (the crossroads immediately south of Arelium) to the Laenor docks
(without looking at the rooms that you pass through).

Setting up such macros/commands is a bit of a pain, but it's this that you don't have to do very often.

Once you have a few such macros/commands set up, many journeys will be a lot easier (especially if you are sticking to roads and paths).

Calmar
I tried to make a mapper that takes puts echo on and stores all dirs from output to a variable that can be then pasted to a macro. The problem seems to be that if you move too many times in same direction one of the echos will not show. This seems to be the problem with the client to batmud as i did not have the same problem in tf or telnet.

So set echo on;5 e will print
east
east
east
east

There is propably some way to catch inputs also but I did not find it.

So no mapper for client, use paper and pen or whine for running dirs from someone who has already done them. Or use TF for that like I do because they have it built in :)
Amarth
We're reviewing something that might be useful for this. However, I'm not sure if it will make it into the upcoming v1.70...would be a bit of a stretch among everything else that has been overgoing last-minute changes. We'll see.
Amarth
QUOTE(Tim @ May 8 2008, 04:48 PM) [snapback]1345[/snapback]
If the client supported hooks/triggers on text sent to the mud, rather than retrieved, it would be fairly easy to write some triggers or a script or plugin to do the basics.

An answer from the Devboard:

"We've already added scripting to process text before it is sent to the game. If a script has the processCommand() method it will process that text before it is sent. It can also gag the command and never send it if the method returns null. There is a process_command.bcs script that shows how to do this."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.