Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to log out?
BatMUD > BatMUD forums > Newbie help
iarosel

Greetings!

This game is very exciting, but eventually, often fairly soon, one has to return to the so-called real life. How to stop playing, and what happens to your character when you do, is a question I did not find very well covered in the help files.

From in-game info I gathered that one could rent a room in an inn, and assumedly be safe from anything that happens in-game meanwhile. However, even Pleasantville Lockers cost gold, and during the first two hours of gaming I didn’t manage to make any money. (Despite all the wonders newbie crystal works, it doesn’t create gold.) So eventually I just typed ‘quit’, which resulted in a phenomenon called link death. I guess link-dying characters just vanish in thin air, don’t they?

When I logged in for the second time, I found my character safe in the Welcome room. So the question is: can I just link-die anywhere at any time in the game? If so, is there any potential danger in this? Where will my character be when I next log in if I just link-die somewhere on the mountains? And what is the point of renting a room in an inn, if one can just embrace the ‘black stallion’, as it seems to be also called?

Grateful for your help,

Akseli

Ooga
The generally accepted way to log out these days is to simply go 'ld' (linkdead). When you do this, your character is sort of in limbo -- if you log back in before the next reboot, you will still be in the same place you were at. At the next reboot (every day at noon in finland, or 2am here in california for me), you will be transported to your start location with all your items.

The inns and locker rooms mentioned in 'help saving items' are somewhat redundant these days -- in older days, you didn't save carried items over boot unless you stayed at an inn or stored the items in chests.

I recommend just doing 'ld' to log out.
iarosel

Is it then useful to book into an inn, if one wants avoid being sent back to your starting location if not online at noon EET? And is there a way to change your starting location?

Thank you, that was truly instant help!

Akseli

Blacksmith
QUOTE (iarosel @ Jul 18 2008, 09:43 AM) *
And is there a way to change your starting location?
help start
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.