Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Batmud on mobile phone
BatMUD > BatMUD forums > Newbie help
bullhorn
I have an s60 phone with java, it's very own symbian operating system, an internet connection and an application to connect to a ssh server (whatever that might mean, i don't know much about it)

Has anyone did this before? I heard it's possible but failed to find a guide online.

I'm posting from my cell phone now. :)
bullhorn
Bump, i guess. Still looking for info.
Nosunrise
I mud almost daily on my phone... its a fun way of wasting time when waiting for something in RealLife. :D

Basically this is all I do:
- I connect to my home computer via SSH (the application on the phone is Putty).
- On my home computer I run tf (tinyfugue client) and connect to BatMUD

I think tf is the only client you can run over a mobile phone at the moment, so if you're not using it you can only use telnet.
If you want to skip the "connecting to a home computer" part, you could try to find some telnet application for your phone and connecting directly to BatMUD (bat.org 23)... allthough playing with plain telnet is pretty hardcore :)

The "home computer" could be your ISP's *nix shell also.
bullhorn
Sounds perfect!

I will try this as soon as i get home on thursday. I only hope the bandwidth usage ip not too high, it's limited in my country and using more than the package allows will cost alot.

Nonetheless, this is the answer i was looking for.

A friend of mine recently made an application called remote control to control your pc from the mobile phone. It works well. (he's the guy that made wireless irc, you might know him, he's finnish :) ).
bullhorn
How do I set up an SSH server? I use Windows XP. Is this guide good:

http://lifehacker.com/software/home-server...rver-205090.php

?

Also, can you help me with tinyfuge, as well? :p
Nosunrise
QUOTE (bullhorn @ Aug 7 2008, 12:32 PM) *
How do I set up an SSH server? I use Windows XP. Is this guide good:

http://lifehacker.com/software/home-server...rver-205090.php

?

Also, can you help me with tinyfuge, as well? :p

Not too familiar with Windows, but the guide looks ok. :P

You also need a static IP to which to connect to or if thats not possible, a dynamic DNS service and a client which updates your home machines IP address to it. For example dyndns.org.

I've heard there is a tinyfugue for windows too, but personally I have no experience of it. But in any case you can use plain telnet.

bullhorn
I'm familiar with no-ip, that's not a problem.

I have no idea about anything. This is going to be a headache. :(
euginnia
I'm so excited. The other day a developer released iMud at the iPhone store, and I am happy to say I believe it might be good enough to actually play a mud, not just socialize. I've been messing with it all day. It's a little clunky but fun. This phone isn't JAVA enabled so I'm not sure how to solve your problem.

I just wanted to say, unless you are developing your own MUD you don't need an SSH server, you need a client to connect to a game. Unless I missindrstood your intent.

Good luck.
bullhorn
I only want to play but there is no client for symbian.

I got an ssh shell on linux and putty on my phone.

Nosunrise, can you please explain what i need to do with tinyfuge?
Nosunrise
QUOTE (bullhorn @ Oct 4 2008, 10:40 PM) *
I only want to play but there is no client for symbian.

I got an ssh shell on linux and putty on my phone.

Nosunrise, can you please explain what i need to do with tinyfuge?

First you can try with plain telnet (telnet bat.org 23), if that works then you should install tinyfugue on your Linux.

Once that is done add this to your .tfrc file:
/addworld -Tlp BatMUD bat.org 23
/world

For a nice set of tf trigs visit Ggr's TinyFugue script set
bullhorn
Yes, plain telnet worked.

I'll talk to my friend that owns the server, i'm sure he would install tinyfuge for me.

I only hope for 2 things: a)it's possible to use t9 in putty somehow and b) use it in landscape mode (i guess rotateme symbian application can solve this).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.