Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: unable to create shortcut -- Vista
BatMUD > BatMUD forums > Batclient
phobosd
every time i try to install/run batclient, it errors out on creating a shortcut on the desktop. which is bad since i have to resize/re-layout all my windows every time i want to play. sure, i could just keep it open but the bane of vista updates screws me every time...

i thought this might be a permission issue so i logged in as administrator but got the same result! it's a java popup with a "!" "Unable to create shortcut"

has anyone experienced this issue with batclient or know a way around it? i'm running vista business, latest updates etc...

honestly, it's hindering my motive to play. i know, it might sound lazy but when you have to spend a solid 10-15 minutes laying out your batclient each time you wanna play it's just kinda 'MEH'

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Amarth
I'm as well running Vista Business at home, but haven't ever seen this error happen.

Really strange. Did you try the obvious, removing client once like this:
Control Panel -> Java -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings -> Delete Files (Batclient)

Then download client again:
http://www.bat.org/play/batclient

Might not help to your issue, but has been proven to work on most of the other weird issues. Updating Java to the latest version might also help, but I wouldn't count on that.

Rigger
Your account privilages/settings (even as an admin) might be stopping java from properly saving the files. Check for protected mode or whatever it is in whichever browser you're currently launching the client from. One very quick way around it might be to install saffari or firefox and install through them.
phobosd
QUOTE (Rigger @ Dec 1 2008, 06:18 PM) *
Your account privilages/settings (even as an admin) might be stopping java from properly saving the files. Check for protected mode or whatever it is in whichever browser you're currently launching the client from. One very quick way around it might be to install saffari or firefox and install through them.

hmm, i'll give it a shot in IE/safari -- been using firefox all along. Perhaps there's a checkbox somewhere in vista that i need to look into?

i updated java this morning to no avail :(

another note: my office workstation is also vista biz but does not have the same problem ...weird.
phobosd
ooo i just noticed a 'shortcut creation' tree menu in control panel -> java -> advanced ...i'll play with that later :)
phobosd
QUOTE (phobosd @ Dec 1 2008, 11:49 PM) *
ooo i just noticed a 'shortcut creation' tree menu in control panel -> java -> advanced ...i'll play with that later :)

grr, i'm still having problems. i've combed via control panel for security settings, disabled protected mode in IE, tried different browsers, etc to no avail.

i'll keep fiddling but figured i'd update this thread to see if anyone else can help me. perhaps the devs have some insight?

i have a feeling it's the way vista was deployed, since it's a work OS it has all the hooks into the PDC at the datacenter (primary domain controller)

i'll go through the group policies and see if that isn't prohibiting the install.

thanks again for all your help!
Rigger
The thing I would try next is to turn user account control off. It's one of the options as soon as you go into the User Accounts section of Control Panel.

I would also find your javaws app and set it so that it automatically runs in administrator mode.

You could also save the jnlp (the link from the bat.org/batclient page) file to your desktop and try run that in admin mode.

Also is your virus killer setup to stop java from saving stuff on your machine?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.