Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: telnet problem
BatMUD > BatMUD forums > Newbie help
pogstic
The text on my telnet connection keeps changing from English to some kind of symbols. How do I fix that or is it a Batmud problem?

pogstic
Ooga
QUOTE (pogstic @ Apr 18 2009, 01:23 PM) *
The text on my telnet connection keeps changing from English to some kind of symbols. How do I fix that or is it a Batmud problem?

Not 100% sure what the problem is from the description, but that isn't a normal problem. If you're literally using plain old telnet, it might be that the color codes are confusing your telnet client. You can try to run 'term vt100' and set your terminal to a basic setting. If that doesn't work, try 'term dumb'. It may be necessary to close and reopen your terminal window if your display has already become "corrupted" with the incorrect color codes.

If the above term commands fix your problem, I'd strongly recommend you try out a more modern telnet client :). The batclient (available from the front page at www.bat.org) is a good choice. Alternatively, on windows, there's zmud/cmud (www.zuggsoft.com), and for many platforms, there's tinyfugue (http://tinyfugue.sourceforge.net/). This is by no means a comprehensive list, but those three are the big three, and the vast majority of bat players use one (or more) of those three.
pogstic
This is on a terminal that I can 't install anything on so I can't use any other telnet client. It has just been happening today. I haven't changed anything from previous sessions.
pogstic
Gonna try tinyfugue but not sure how to use it...
Hair
You say you are on a terminal that you can't install anything on, what you could do is download Putty, its a free terminal program. You can get it here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatha...y/download.html

Just download putty.exe to a usb flash drive or so, and run it right from there, no need to install anything. Putty will do telnet and SSH, and has quite a few options. I use it to SSH to a unix host and then use tinyfugue from there, but you can also use it to telnet directly to batmud.

--Hair
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.