Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conversion whine thread
BatMUD > BatMUD forums > General game-related chat
Froggy
It's going to happen, and I might as well start it. I am determined to whine about the new maps/tunes/worlds/realms until I like them. Waaaaah.
Pelend
Waa. Whine. Nerf.
It's horrible.
It's beautiful!
Scary too.
whine
Jutom
Nothing to whine about.

Except the lack of ascii map.
Astrax
QUOTE(Jutom @ Dec 8 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]489[/snapback]

Nothing to whine about.

Totally agree. From my lowbie-point-of-view, this is the most refreshing thing happened to bat during my years and has nothing but increased my interest in playing. Well, have to come back to this after a week of not finding any areas anymore.

Have to wait for the map, tho.
Grayson
I'm confused. Is the old BatMUD, as we know it, gone forever? I thought this was just a maintenance weekend with a new version for testing, but that the old BatMUD would return.
Hellvasara
QUOTE(Grayson @ Dec 9 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]492[/snapback]

I'm confused. Is the old BatMUD, as we know it, gone forever? I thought this was just a maintenance weekend with a new version for testing, but that the old BatMUD would return.

The new version is here to stay. If it holds together i suppose.
Jutom
QUOTE(Jutom @ Dec 8 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]489[/snapback]

Nothing to whine about.

Except the lack of ascii map.

I totally change this oppinion when I got a real hands-on experience of this fucking great tune.

Looks like some wizzie got a nice idea while being drunk, painted some cool map with MSpaint, converted it to ascii in too big format. Then melemkor said "why not let the stupid mortals make good use of those ships Ive spent so much time coding and disable all portals so they would only use my ships!" and the archwizards agreed. Then noctur threw up a vague idea of a guild that has some vague spells that deal with teleporting, and being too lazy to rethink navigators, they just decided to make a new guild. Then hastily all the wizzies wrote some buggy code and decided it was good enough. Then they flew to hawaii.
Hellvasara
QUOTE(Jutom @ Dec 9 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]497[/snapback]

I totally change this oppinion when I got a real hands-on experience of this fucking great tune.

Looks like some wizzie got a nice idea while being drunk, painted some cool map with MSpaint, converted it to ascii in too big format. Then melemkor said "why not let the stupid mortals make good use of those ships Ive spent so much time coding and disable all portals so they would only use my ships!" and the archwizards agreed. Then noctur threw up a vague idea of a guild that has some vague spells that deal with teleporting, and being too lazy to rethink navigators, they just decided to make a new guild. Then hastily all the wizzies wrote some buggy code and decided it was good enough. Then they flew to hawaii.

Think one should wait for everything to be working before passing judgements.
Jutom
It all will be better when the wizzies come back from hawaii.

So everything should be all right after 2 weeks.
Fil
QUOTE(Jutom @ Dec 9 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]497[/snapback]

amen
Narril
This looks and sounds great, this new continents and stuff, altho, i'm afraid that transportation is going to be pain in the ( * ).

Think about some expmaking, you got 1M exp on, lets say some hours expmaking or two, then you would like to train ofcourse, and guess what? go to ferry and sail to another continent and find a safe way to your guild, train and same way back. HOW LONG IS THAT GOING TO TAKE?

I have a bad feeling about every change that hinders movement and slows transportation, that wanders guild looks good, too bad for midbies and lower levelers, it looks bit high-requirement guild to me.

I just want to know why moving around the game has to be this hard?
Froggy
I think soloing in any capacity will become incredibly time consuming and more difficult now. If that was a goal of the wizzes, I think they hit it on the head. That said, I also think it will require considerably more time now to accomplish some of the same goals we previously were able to accomplish. I am waiting to see what the "uptune" side of this is other than a larger world.
Hrolf
Uptune.

Heh.

*gigglesnort*

What makes you think that anything resembling an uptune is involved here? Consider having something different and new to do your uptune.
Froggy
QUOTE(Hrolf @ Dec 11 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]509[/snapback]

What makes you think that anything resembling an uptune is involved here?

A whimsical sense of hope and nothing more.

Hrolf
QUOTE(Froggy @ Dec 11 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]510[/snapback]

A whimsical sense of hope and nothing more.

Well that is obviously a personal problem that you need to get checked out.
Jutom
QUOTE(Hrolf @ Dec 11 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]511[/snapback]

Well that is obviously a personal problem that you need to get checked out.

Zip it and take it to BS -> NOW!

I wonder what the wizzies are going to do about those pcity portals. I really hope they do make them into the old way. But probably its just going to be the continents main city or something.

If I want to spend time in bat doing nothing, I idle, not travel along stupid ferrys or wait for them. If I want to watch the scenery, I continue to play wow. Fuck you wizzies.
Froggy
QUOTE(Jutom @ Dec 11 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]512[/snapback]

I wonder what the wizzies are going to do about those pcity portals. I really hope they do make them into the old way. But probably its just going to be the continents main city or something.

Yeah, I kind of agree. I have some high hopes, but there's no way they're going to be cheap as they were before. However, that said, I'm still going to wait to see how pcity placements make out before completely losing hope.
Fil
QUOTE(Froggy @ Dec 11 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]514[/snapback]

Yeah, I kind of agree. I have some high hopes, but there's no way they're going to be cheap as they were before. However, that said, I'm still going to wait to see how pcity placements make out before completely losing hope.

i hope and pray that portal will take you to main city(ies) on continent but that otherwise there will be a vortex module added for travel to church/other continents.

i like to solo, i made a fairly solo reinc, i often do, i'm annoyed and like it was said before fucked from the time consumption aspect. playing from work is now just idling, popping on for fifteen minutes is now hopefully getting to one cash mob and then leaving, its dumb.

ps. this must be said as many places as possible...tuning the entire game around ships is ridiculous, fuck melemkor, fuck expensive ships, fuck the huge emptiness of the new maps, fuck the wanderers guild for not being added into navs and now needing to take up extra levels.
Jutom
QUOTE(Fil @ Dec 11 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]515[/snapback]

i hope and pray that portal will take you to main city(ies) on continent but that otherwise there will be a vortex module added for travel to church/other continents.

i like to solo, i made a fairly solo reinc, i often do, i'm annoyed and like it was said before fucked from the time consumption aspect. playing from work is now just idling, popping on for fifteen minutes is now hopefully getting to one cash mob and then leaving, its dumb.
ps. this must be said as many places as possible...tuning the entire game around ships is ridiculous, fuck melemkor, fuck expensive ships, fuck the huge emptiness of the new maps, fuck the wanderers guild for not being added into navs and now needing to take up extra levels.

Amen brother! You said it!

Fuck ships! Fuck the HUGE maps filled with nothing. We need 10x more areas to fill that fucking map up. Or 10x more animals to fill that map up. And fuck the wanderer guild.
Thorfinn
Exp making has been slowed...unless you know what the hell's going on in your continent.(good thing? highbies seem to complain that there's too much exp in game now, maybe this balances it?)
Word of wisdom, own a pcity room on every continent and rotate startlocs.
Word of wisdom...buy a ship, take some wanderers, or adjust to the currently shitty ferry system.(7 second window to jump onto the ferry/leave the ferry? wft? and does anyone else agree that they should shout their destinations when they dock?"SS fire bird now boarding, leaving for desolatia!)
I've actually made more exp soloing since new map was implemented.
My biggest hopes to make this a solidly cool tune would be new areas and worldwide, world changing events that players can participate in(the lauriens are setting sale to invade desolatia! join an advance mercenary squad to take out key leaders or the invasion can't happen! ...and the like).

Yes, I like the new look. No, I don't believe that you should be able to pop around the continents with portals...would completely VOID the cool idea of having to actually THINK OUT your exp/eq runs. If ferries price was tuned a bit,say 5k max for booking a trip( i currently pay 900, and i'm cool with that, i think 90k is a bit...fucking ridiculous),then I say rock on wizzies. Thanks for the fresh air.

Askan
The new maps are great and all that but when I saw the size of the continents I wasn't happy.

Time taken to travel to destinations is not productive time. Its repetitive and I can't even amuse myself by running around in circles like I did in WOW.

The shorter the length of the time you play the greater the "overheads" represent as a proportion of your playtime. Overheads are bad mmkay.
Fil
QUOTE(Thorfinn @ Dec 12 2006, 12:30 AM) [snapback]518[/snapback]

Exp making has been slowed...unless you know what the hell's going on in your continent.(good thing? highbies seem to complain that there's too much exp in game now, maybe this balances it?)
Word of wisdom, own a pcity room on every continent and rotate startlocs.
Word of wisdom...buy a ship, take some wanderers, or adjust to the currently shitty ferry system.(7 second window to jump onto the ferry/leave the ferry? wft? and does anyone else agree that they should shout their destinations when they dock?"SS fire bird now boarding, leaving for desolatia!)
I've actually made more exp soloing since new map was implemented.
My biggest hopes to make this a solidly cool tune would be new areas and worldwide, world changing events that players can participate in(the lauriens are setting sale to invade desolatia! join an advance mercenary squad to take out key leaders or the invasion can't happen! ...and the like).

Yes, I like the new look. No, I don't believe that you should be able to pop around the continents with portals...would completely VOID the cool idea of having to actually THINK OUT your exp/eq runs. If ferries price was tuned a bit,say 5k max for booking a trip( i currently pay 900, and i'm cool with that, i think 90k is a bit...fucking ridiculous),then I say rock on wizzies. Thanks for the fresh air.

one thing, i dont play games to think out stuff, i want to just play. they've removed that from batmud. otherwise yes, most of your complaints and suggestions are coo
Dreadlord
At first, the new map and finding yourself from unknown location was confusing. Years of playing and the mentalmap of the mud built during that time was gone. But hey, it was about time. The more I explore and look around, the more I like the new system.

Before, one could easily travel Bat realm from A to B within seconds, now, it is like in World of Warcraft, you feel that you are actually travelling a long distance.

Kudos for wizzes, I'm loving it.
Brurin
Its a nice idea/concept and step to a direction, but in its current state it has problems. Obviously.

One thing that comes in mind is that the world is too huge and empty. Every continent or atleast the more central ones should contain areas that range between easy and hard to very hard.

I say remove the portals completely, but please do not make the ferry fees cost insane amounts even if the huge costs are meant for higher level players.
Afterall its suppose to be fun and the ferry wait compared to instant portal travel of the previousbat is enough to handle.
You cant force players to choose their guilds to counter such a small task as travelling to a point B from point A. There needs to be way to travel to places without other players aid if necessery without an insane cost ive heard so much whine about.

Thats my humble 2 cents.

If anything, this is a promise for huge content to come and i wait to see it.
Calmar
Only problem I seen with this is the slowness of moving around. As said it is just useless overhead. So basicly the guy with best moving macros wins it has nothing to do with anythign else.
Hrolf
QUOTE(Calmar @ Dec 13 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]529[/snapback]

Only problem I seen with this is the slowness of moving around. As said it is just useless overhead. So basicly the guy with best moving macros wins it has nothing to do with anythign else.

All of these whines are targeted at solo everything being harder now. I remember several years ago Gore explicitly stating that they planned on continuing tunes that shifted towards more of a party mud.

Yes the solo expa/cash player with the best macros will get the best solo rate, but it will still be less than it was before. Now, if you want to lead a rocking expa party, you need to have a ship to ferry your party areound from place to place and store loot in. This is how my SS has been doing many expa parties for about a year now and it works well.

Newbie parties should do fine on the main contintent since there are several level limited areas to work with on top of whatever is leftover after soloers pick the rest clean.
Grondle
QUOTE(Hrolf @ Dec 13 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]531[/snapback]

All of these whines are targeted at solo everything being harder now. I remember several years ago Gore explicitly stating that they planned on continuing tunes that shifted towards more of a party mud.

Yes the solo expa/cash player with the best macros will get the best solo rate, but it will still be less than it was before. Now, if you want to lead a rocking expa party, you need to have a ship to ferry your party areound from place to place and store loot in. This is how my SS has been doing many expa parties for about a year now and it works well.

Newbie parties should do fine on the main contintent since there are several level limited areas to work with on top of whatever is leftover after soloers pick the rest clean.

Yea, I love the thought of spending my 1 hour of mud time a day wondering around on some damn ship trying to find areas that haven’t been raped... I think these changes are a nice addition but it really screws those of us who don’t have hours and hours to run around finding something to bash in. There are a lot of people who enjoy playing here as a solo because they don’t have that much time to invest. Wasn’t that the point of power hour/exp pool? Do I think this will make the mud more interesting, yes, for those who have characters that are geared specifically for this type of outer world, and those who have the money to invest in ships, not to mention the TIME... Do I think it will draw more people to play here....time will tell but personally I don’t think so.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the hard work that goes into keeping this mud up and running and new additions and trust me I have seen a lot of changes since 1993, but I feel this could have been a bit more though out to enable everyone an enjoyable experience versus the current situation. I am sure time will tell but until then nomad soloers have been royally f**ked.
Calmar
QUOTE(Hrolf @ Dec 13 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]531[/snapback]

I can currently play in 10min-1h at one row max. The funny thing is that I cant predict beforhand how much time I will have so basicly there is no way i could party. Now I am totally content on the fact that i must mainly solo. There are 2 tunes that have caused this to become really painful. First MC Demons can steal from ld players so i need to go naked and now moving has been made really painful timewaster.

I understand that this mud is ment for people who have several hours to play in row but I still can't understand why I am so hated that i need to be tuned all the time.
Pharm
QUOTE(Froggy @ Dec 11 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]507[/snapback]
I think soloing in any capacity will become incredibly time consuming and more difficult now. If that was a goal of the wizzes, I think they hit it on the head. That said, I also think it will require considerably more time now to accomplish some of the same goals we previously were able to accomplish. I am waiting to see what the "uptune" side of this is other than a larger world.

Uptune???

When was the last uptune in Bat history?

Pharm
Jutom
What is this uptune you speak of? Never heard of it nor does nickname know it. Please explain.
Blacksmith
QUOTE(Dreadlord @ Dec 12 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]522[/snapback]
Before, one could easily travel Bat realm from A to B within seconds, now, it is like in World of Warcraft, you feel that you are actually travelling a long distance.
Foremost you didn t travel from point A to point B in seconds if you didn't use MAGICAL transportation that either needed you to have cash, a friend that is in navigator guild or that you yourself were a member of the same navigator guild.
2ndly WoW "mages" seem to be newbies in teleportation magic, and seems BatMU got infected with the same virus. Thank god it didn't hit DnD.
3rdly Those that want to skip the "loading area" ...err "ship cruises northeast" by spending precious guild levels for navigators or cash they have spend time making, they should be allowed to do so. Some people just dont want to wait for no reason. If i got another game where joining action takes less than 1 minute and a game where action joining time is +10mins, gues witch one im going for.
Dreadlord
QUOTE(Blacksmith @ Feb 20 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]739[/snapback]
Foremost you didn t travel from point A to point B in seconds if you didn't use MAGICAL transportation that either needed you to have cash, a friend that is in navigator guild or that you yourself were a member of the same navigator guild.

Eh, no teleportation magick nor other trickery were needed, only a portal and sometimes water walking were enough to do the trick as in the old map greater cities reachable via portal were situated evenly throughout the realms. Thus reducing greatly the distance needed to travel afoot. Yet I am not denying your supposition as it would no doubt be correct with certain cases, eg. player with lesser experience of the game and it's map in that era.
Blacksmith
QUOTE(Dreadlord @ Feb 20 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]741[/snapback]
Eh, no teleportation magick nor other trickery were needed

Oh, really? Well then, where is my teleportation portal? I would like to skip the drive to work and simply use the portal. OR might it be that the portal is magical itself? It jsut might be that the portals in batmud work with magic and are not some fine mechanical ones.
only a portal and sometimes water walking were enough to do the trick as in the old map greater cities reachable via portal were situated evenly throughout the realms.
Portal generally wanted $$$, portals att more remote places wanted as much as ½k cash. Water walking is also not something im able to do, but im sure you will teach us how it will work. Still, running 20 squares with ww and not having hiking will cost you 200 eps, so having ww in your tap was not helpping too much.

Cheez, if i go play a WW2 game i don't have to spend couple weeks watching "transportation to front-line in progress" and watch it everytime i die.
Dreadlord
Yet I am not denying your supposition as it would no doubt be correct with certain cases, eg. player with lesser experience of the game and it's map in that era.

Ah, nothing like twisting the words, talking the talk, ignoring half of the post you are quoting.
Blasterr
QUOTE(Grondle @ Dec 13 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]532[/snapback]
I am sure time will tell but until then nomad soloers have been royally f**ked.

I have to disagree. Nomads can still solo, they've just lost the suffeli they had before. Knowing the famous '9man party change continents with ferries AND train AND sac in 4 minutes' trick leaves no space for this kind of reasoning (not to mention we're still somewhat in cross-over phaze).
It maybe be hard but it can be done. Learn it.
Sephiroth
QUOTE(Blasterr @ Feb 21 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]747[/snapback]
I have to disagree. Nomads can still solo, they've just lost the suffeli they had before. Knowing the famous '9man party change continents with ferries AND train AND sac in 4 minutes' trick leaves no space for this kind of reasoning (not to mention we're still somewhat in cross-over phaze).
It maybe be hard but it can be done. Learn it.

Nomads lost something? My average solorate with nomad before the continent tune was 10k/min. My solorate for a month on average after the tune was 12k+/min. I made almost 50% more money and couldn't be happier. I'd say partying is unaffected too. I have my ups and downs, but with a decent party 70k/min 5-man isn't a problem. And training won't be a problem if you aren't getting anyone killed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.