Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Player cities and Furnachia
BatMUD > BatMUD forums > General game-related chat
Dreadlord
Yay, finally one can set their player cities, restrictions were given such as, certain distance from a road or an area, no problem. But now when they started selling those anchors, entire continents were banned from the list of 'habitable'. Well, Lucentium got removed from that list but Furnachia? And the excuses given by the wizard who is somewhat responsible for such, were not quite convincing.

You tell Melemkor 'ahm, so there are like 4 places more in lucentium than
furnachia, and that's reason why furnachia is inhabitable?'
Melemkor tells you 'furnachia is a more brutal continent overall, and will
require more taming'
You tell Melemkor 'imho that's sort of ruining any roleplaying one might wanta
have'
Melemkor tells you 'plus, the gap grows when you account for many of the
entrances are spider guild related, or ril'ynttar related'

EDIT: Uh oh, while voting, writing an argument would be spiffy too!
Jutom
Ok, so building your city inside a lavastream would be nice. But wait until the wizzies come with the upkeep tune and then lavaflows have 50% change per hour to destroy your city and start to whine.

Theres good reasoning behind that decision. But Im happy lucentium is habitable.
Dreadlord
Well said, indeed well said! However, I do not recall saying or wanting to build player city into lavastream, nor do I know if that is what you'd do, should such action become possible. While threat-level in cozy Lucentium might seem to be low, it probably appeared in the same way in also cozy St. Helens in 17th of May, 1980. I hope such would not happen and I'm quite sure our kind wizards would never do anything like that.

QUOTE(Jutom @ Dec 18 2006, 02:29 AM) [snapback]558[/snapback]

But wait until the wizzies come with the upkeep tune and then lavaflows have 50% change per hour to destroy your city and start to whine.

Those 'whining lavaflows' sound quite frightening but I prefer to have an option to choose freely.
Gore
QUOTE(Dreadlord @ Dec 17 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]557[/snapback]

Yay, finally one can set their player cities, restrictions were given such as, certain distance from a road or an area, no problem. But now when they started selling those anchors, entire continents were banned from the list of 'habitable'. Well, Lucentium got removed from that list but Furnachia? And the excuses given by the wizard who is somewhat responsible for such, were not quite convincing.

We wanted to keep atleast some continent uninhabitable to give us more options for placing areas and develop a theme that runs contrary to building large pcities (essentially making it habited in an organized form). We had the option of not putting the continent into the game right away or to disable pcity placement for it, and we chose the latter.

I think it's amusing that on one hand people complain that the continental landmasses are much too large, while on the other they complain that a certain continent is offlimits for pcity placement, like there wouldn't be enough suitable spots for their pcity on the others.
Dreadlord
You tell Melemkor 'imho that's sort of ruining any roleplaying one might wanta have'

Some of us players ain't purely in this game for just hack'n'slash and beat'n'smash, i.e. undersigned's player city was originally and intentionally located in quite remote location, needless to say, hazardous too, due to nature of the citys name and what it presented. Other continents are mostly filled with green, flowering dales and bunnyvilles, thus they do not even nearly match the original setup.
Fil
QUOTE(Gore @ Dec 18 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]561[/snapback]

while on the other they complain that a certain continent is offlimits for pcity placement, like there wouldn't be enough suitable spots for their pcity on the others.

oh, i thought people wanted pcities there cause of the guilds located on furnachia. thats why i voted yes, otherwise i dont care. (or just put a material exchange in rilynttar). I suppose pcities would help with selling/regen on furnachia too, but eh, mostly just want somewhere to buy loc blade materials on continent.
Jutom
QUOTE(Fil @ Dec 18 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]572[/snapback]

oh, i thought people wanted pcities there cause of the guilds located on furnachia. thats why i voted yes, otherwise i dont care. (or just put a material exchange in rilynttar). I suppose pcities would help with selling/regen on furnachia too, but eh, mostly just want somewhere to buy loc blade materials on continent.

Good point. All cities should have full establishments, atleast what comes to shops. They are cities after all. Not some lil' villages in the countryside.
Being
I don't mind not having pcities on Furnachia in hopes of getting future content, but there is something lacking still..
A few more places to get water from. By the time you run to the next lake/river (and they aren't in your route anyway probably) you're already thirsty again :P
Well, at least adding waterskins into some shop in Rilynttar would be lovely for us traveling naked through portals =)
Fil
QUOTE(Being @ Dec 19 2006, 02:54 AM) [snapback]577[/snapback]

I don't mind not having pcities on Furnachia in hopes of getting future content, but there is something lacking still..
A few more places to get water from. By the time you run to the next lake/river (and they aren't in your route anyway probably) you're already thirsty again :P
Well, at least adding waterskins into some shop in Rilynttar would be lovely for us traveling naked through portals =)

brilliant idea, i've had that a few times myself, especially since it seems training at evil priest guild in swamp dehydrates you rapidly, or at least i think the swamp tiles did that :D
Hrolf
I'm not totally sure, but is travelling naked through portals going to be left open indeffinately, or is that just something at the start to help us get into the swing of things?
Jutom
QUOTE(Hrolf @ Dec 19 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]580[/snapback]

I'm not totally sure, but is travelling naked through portals going to be left open indeffinately, or is that just something at the start to help us get into the swing of things?

Very good question.
I think the wizards would answer "its open until its closed".
Dreadlord
"Furnachia is volcanic! It supports no life at all, thus it is inhabitable, l0L!" they say, yet still, in the distant realm which is whispered in forgotten tales known as 'the real life', people tend to build their settlement on areas and islands, known to be volcanic and lethal. Because those areas happen to quite very fertile and full of life. What a better reason to pay city's taxes on time than face the destruction? Before the new continents, Bat realm was full of cities with millions of unpaid taxes.

"Roflmao z0mf6!11!!, BatMUD has nothing to do with real life what so ever, kill yourself!"
A: Yes, then bring back the old map it.

Yet should the always listening and open-minded wizards pay no attention even to this argument, I'd say every continent from Laenor to Rothikgen should have their natural hazards like Fraggles eating up cities!
Nosunrise

I say keep Furnachia uninhabited.

Two reasons:
1. 90% of cities have already been placed, would be totally unfair for these cities if Furnachia were to later open for habitation.

2. The continent would lose a lot of its ebul street-credibility if it were to have some cities like "Dorkville" or "Beerfest" right there beside areas called "The 9th Plane Of HELL" or "Haunted Mansion". There are no cities in Mordor either! :)
Dreadlord
1. As Hugo the troll once said, "Pitikö olla hoppu, nyt se on leikin loppu!". Shit happens.

2. Just because there is, for example, a city known as 'Kepustan' does not mean, all the rest are called Beerfest #1, Beerfest #2, and so on.

PS No offence meant, owners and fans of Kepustan.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.