Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: State of the MUD
BatMUD > BatMUD forums > General game-related chat
Nu
Posted: 00:25 06/02/2007
Level: 200 [Wizard]Age: 4y, 309d, 5h, 51m, 44s

And another year goes by. As we are in the busy midst of 2007, the time has come to have a flash back at the year 2006 to recollect the major achievements of BatMUD in the past year and take a look back at what happened then and what is about to happen.

Past year has been a productive year overall. The events that are most worthy of mentioning are of course The Age of Exiles or bringing new continents in action for exploration and BatClient.

The Age of Exiles was a big project that required teamed effort of many coders in BatMUD and in the end of it it has really paid off, we have a new outer world to explore and live in.

The Age of Exiles also introduced a new guild to BatMUD - wanderers. Being a true masters of teleportation, they provide you with abilities of intercontinental travels.

We should not forget another valuable and significant improvement the Age of Exiles has brought - ships and all that comes with them. Thanks to tremendous efforts of Melemkor, the ships gained richness in content and usability and nowadays are an essential part of BatMUD life.

The new BatClient, a custom made client for BatMUD, that has been developed in collaboration with Mythicscape. Although not yet complete, the first versions were released during VegasCon and later in the year it was made publicly downloadable from our main website, www.bat.org.

BatMUD machine was replaced by a brand new 2U-sized rack server with Dual 3.8GHz Xeon, 8GB DDR2 memory and U320 RAID controller with 6x 146GB 15K RPM U320 SCSIs, a remote access controller, etc, etc giving us more power and less machine lag.

Shinarae has provided us with a nice one-time April's Fools event, and later on with an easter egg hunt event which was a great fun for majority of players across the game. As well, it has given us an impression that one-shot events are a valid area of enjoyment and therefore should be done more often.

Several wizards have introduced new areas to the game, further expanding our content available for your enjoyment.

Also, Ix'ixixiblat, the skeletal Greatwyrm was slain by a brave party of 18 mortals for the first time in history of BatMUD.

B.A.T. ry held a Las Vegas convention in the fall of 2006, and despite the fact that I wasn't attending it myself, from what I have heard it was a great success, everyone enjoyed it and had a lot of fun.

Also, year 2006 has brought us a new archwizard, yours truly a.k.a. Favorit. :)

A new community service has been launched in 2006, namely BatMUD forums. The plan is to further expand community side of our web, and further integrate MUD information with the site, making it more usable and information-rich.

Alongside the content changes, the city of Rilynttar has suffered demolishing and has been rebuilt by a bunch of wooden golems Jorgoses. Although still in betatest and crazed Jorgoses are still running around pondering what to rebuild, the city has been made publicly available for young and more experienced explorers to sight see.

Of course it's worth to mention that last year has brought us new coding forces. Six new wizards have joined our coders team to help us furthering BatMUD and make it a nicer and more enjoyable place for all of you to experience.

So, this partially sums up all the major events and happenings of the past year. Now, let's take a short look ahead and see what we can expect in the upcoming future. Being pressurized about spreading classified information, I'll still take the liberty and shed some light on the plans for 2007 and ahead.

There're a lot of changes that have been planned for 2007. Possibly not all of them will meet the set deadlines, but some of the changes include a new background (military) as well as background system revamp, ranged combat in the form of archers guild. Several new guilds are currently being in the planning and pre-approval phase, and some of our wizards are beginning to work on those.

And of course many of our coders are working hard to bring you forth some new content in the form of new areas, quests and other events to experience. There are plans to work on BatMUD's PvP system, introducing sort of battleground-type areas and events as well as PvP ranking system.

Other than that, ranger guild has already received a basic tasks system, and this system is promised to expand, bringing you new tasks and rewards. On the community side, as I have already mentioned, BatMUD forums went live and there are plans to integrate forums with in-mud reader, and possibly poster, as well as expanding community services available from the web further, to provide a more pleasant environment for players to share information and keep in touch with each other.

Also, B.A.T. ry is pursuing the further development of BatClient. The latest in-testing versions already show such features as scripting functionality, triggers and sophisticated liting options. There will be several version releases before the so-called Phase 2 Release (that has more graphical implementations.)

All in all, the time goes on, we will continue developing and expanding BatMUD, keeping in mind what you have told us in news, in other feedback, on the forums, etc. Please keep the feedback coming, and keep the new players coming to enjoy our wonderful game. This game will be nowhere without you, our dedicated and devoted players.

Sincerely yours,
Favorit.
Jutom
Im sorry, but I have to do this.

New guilds in 2 weeks, eh?
Hrolf
No mention of LoC this year. Maybe it will be a suprise opening.
Fil
QUOTE(Hrolf @ Feb 6 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]710[/snapback]
No mention of LoC this year. Maybe it will be a suprise opening.

the surprise will be if any of us are still alive.

and i get that this was a post from management, about management. but isn't it just a little too rosy? :P not that i disagree with things in it, but its so gosh darn happy
Nosunrise
QUOTE(Fil @ Feb 7 2007, 06:48 AM) [snapback]711[/snapback]
the surprise will be if any of us are still alive.

and i get that this was a post from management, about management. but isn't it just a little too rosy? :P not that i disagree with things in it, but its so gosh darn happy

Well it should be happy... you noobs just havent seen the "dark ages" :)
Personally, I've never seen so many improvements done to the game in such a short period.
This is obviously due to the unprecendented amount of active wizzes, who I consider to be the most competent bunch in BatMUD's history so far.

So yeah, if our "management" keeps this pace up, the state of the MUD does look mighty nice.

And a small hint to all the "New LoCs, 2 weeks"-bandwagoneers: Master the old-LoCs (or any other guild for that matter) before cracking that joke ;)

Fil
QUOTE(Nosunrise @ Feb 7 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]713[/snapback]
Well it should be happy... you noobs just havent seen the "dark ages" :)
Personally, I've never seen so many improvements done to the game in such a short period.
This is obviously due to the unprecendented amount of active wizzes, who I consider to be the most competent bunch in BatMUD's history so far.

So yeah, if our "management" keeps this pace up, the state of the MUD does look mighty nice.

And a small hint to all the "New LoCs, 2 weeks"-bandwagoneers: Master the old-LoCs (or any other guild for that matter) before cracking that joke ;)

going from point A to point B does not guarantee improvement, just change.

also, how does mastering locs have anything to do with making jokes about the delays in new locs? does my knowledge (or lack there of, in your opinion) keep new locs from coming out?
Nosunrise
QUOTE(Fil @ Feb 8 2007, 06:19 AM) [snapback]715[/snapback]
also, how does mastering locs have anything to do with making jokes about the delays in new locs?

Ah, delays... I usually see the joke being made when someone hasn't received his daily uptune, bitches about it and
then proceeds to bring up this old and tired joke to somehow illustrate things arent happening. All this without:
a) never having seen the original story and
b) even knowing if it's actually needed.

But, if the joke really was about _delays_ then one would assume the delay actually bothers someone because the
current situation is bad?

Now, someone who masters old-LoCs (or other guilds to draw a comparison) would know whether the delay really
is a bad thing or not. Of course, all new things are uptunes, so its safe to whine for them, knowledged or not. I just
see it as greed since the current LoCs already kick ass compared to most other guilds.

Hrolf
I wasn't whining for new LoC's. I was making a joke at the content of the message and that a perrenial component of the message wasn't included this time. I wasn't bitching about lack of uptunes or anything else. And just so you know, the median player level is 75 now. It is very likely that most people have mastered a guild by level 75. So telling people to fuck off and come back and talk once they've mastered a guild is not a very effective argument.

And since we are making generalizations about people who want new LoC's, I'd like to make the claim that everyone who argues against them is someone with a big blade that doesn't want to lose it and that is the driving factor behind all of their arguments. So your mention of people not knowing wether new LoC's would be an uptune or not is actually a two sided issue. For people who don't have a big blade, it probably would be an uptune and for people who don't, then it would probably be a downtune. Thus trying to shade the issue as a dumb people vs. not dumb people is a bit simplistic and self serving.

Now I'd like to swing back to the beginning of this post and remind you that I don't really care and had no intention of trying to start a real discussion of LoC's or even use a joke to further my small dick I need an uptune agenda.

My joke wasn't about delays. It was about state of the MUD speeches. I had become used to seeing a certain topic discussed in them and thought that it's absence was worth noting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.