Download Game! Currently 70 players and visitors. Last logged in:AruthraSredaAceduckSeatox

BatMUD Forums > Batclient >

12 Apr 2012 21:08

hello!

I'm trying to write more about MUDs for the site I work for and almost every one of them claims to be very customizable and flexible, but yet almost all of them offer the same white text on black background hideousness. I have vision that can suffer from such harsh colors and fonts and sizes.

Is there a quick guide or tips section that will show me how to actually customize the fonts or colors? I found some options in the client, but nothing that effected size and colors.

Thanks!

Beau
beaugh
1d, 4h, 15m, 40s old
Level:

13 Apr 2012 20:46

The very first things (quick'n dirty) that come into mind how to do these would be the following.

1. FONT & FONT SIZE SELECTION
- Right-mouse click on top of any window (bar) for which you want to select a new font or adjust text size of
- Choose appropriate font and size from 'Select font' (note: you might want to use the 'monospaced' ones, but any fonts from your system/computer should be visible)
- All new text into that window will output with the new font per your selection

2. TEXT COLOUR SELECTION
Several ways to do this, you can affect this gameside (e.g. by command "lite") but also clientside, here's how to do it client-side:
- Go to Main Menu (hit 'ESC' or right-mouse click in a free area)
- Settings > Others > ANSI Colour
- Under ANSI Colour you can change any (game output) text colour per your own preference. This affects all windows. For example, you could change the default "white" to black

3. BACKGROUND COLOUR
- Go to Main Menu (hit 'ESC' or right-mouse click in a free area)
- Settings > Wallpaper > Select colour (you could choose e.g. White)
- You could do custom windows, but you can also just go over any window (bar), right-mouse click and
- Window transparency > Select alpha value > 0

The window transparency thing isn't "that beautiful", if you're looking for a full white desktop / black text setup, but if you can code Java you could create your own windows to overcome this.

I hope these get you started!
Amarth
A r c h w i z a r d
18y, 143d, 8h, 35m, 52s old
Level:
600 [Wizard]

13 Apr 2012 22:17

Hmm, the background color thing was so simple I am mad I didn't think of that! lol Thank you....but I can't get the font to change color. I go to ANSI and change it to "black" but when I type in the window it still shows as white. Here's what I am seeing:

...any more advice would be awesome. I need to know if it will work so I can make sure to schedule it for an article next week! lol If this works, it will be like playing through a good book. :)

Beau
beaugh
1d, 4h, 15m, 40s old
Level:

13 Apr 2012 22:29

I'm interested in this information too. Is there a BatClient tutorial available?

P.S. I ended up here because of your recent Free for All article, Beau (or rather, because of the comments posted on your recent article).
disbe
7h, 41m, 54s old
Level:

14 Apr 2012 11:44

I'm afraid we have unknowingly introduced a bug in Batclient v1.99 related to this due to all the changes we did to speed up the client (in relation to text output). Actually managed to crash the client's connectivity myself by choosing "Disable colours", also do see that the ANSI Colour setting is working 'sporadically' at best when changing the defaults.

I've opened this internally as a priority bug, hope to fix this issue in a couple of days. I'll post on this board as it gets fixed, the client will update automatically.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Amarth
A r c h w i z a r d
Level:
600 [Wizard]

14 Apr 2012 15:07

I appreciate the reply! The larger font makes almost as much of a difference as the color of it, so it helps to have a blank background and a nice large font. I just wanna get on with the game, seems so interesting!

I've played MUDs before and now am moving into semi-MUD-like territory on some articles, so this will be a good learning experience either way. I'll look out for the update!

Thanks,

Beau
beaugh
1d, 4h, 15m, 40s old
Level:

24 Apr 2012 21:24

Heya,

Any word as to if this change was put in or not? Just curious. :)

Beau
beaugh
1d, 4h, 15m, 40s old
Level:

28 Apr 2012 23:15

Hi Beau,

We have just now released a fix to this (v1.99g). Sorry for it taking for so long, we had some key people on vacation + working their day jobs on an extended spree, thus some unexpected delay.

I hope it solves your problem, at least worked for me now.

If you run into not being able to start Batclient, clear your Java cache (Control Panel -> Java -> ..) and reload client from the web http://www.bat.org/play/batclient

Regards,
Amarth
Amarth
A r c h w i z a r d
Level:
600 [Wizard]

29 Apr 2012 03:21

Hmmm odd, I uninstalled and re-downloaded the game and it still isn't working. My other colors and stuff were the same as in the screenshot above. Maybe I'm not clearing a cache properly?

Beau
beaugh
1d, 4h, 15m, 40s old
Level:

01 May 2012 21:37

Try following these instructions http://www.bat.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=449

That should fully remove a Batclient installation and its configurations. You need to be running the latest v1.99g, as this was only fixed in this version.
Amarth
A r c h w i z a r d
Level:
600 [Wizard]

02 May 2012 04:50

Yeh, nothing still. JUst to be clear, I sue "ansi color" to change all font colors? I choose a pale background and set the ansi color to black and the fonts are still a pale white.

Sorry for all the trouble guys and gals, you've been nothing but helpful!

Beau
beaugh
1d, 4h, 15m, 40s old
Level:

02 May 2012 21:54

Just tested this on v1.99g, see from the login screen which version you are running.

Explaining this "at length", just to be sure that we're on the same page:

- Do a right mouse-click on any "free" area of the client "desktop" (background) -> Settings -> Others -> ANSI Colour
- Under there, you find a listing of default colours that are sent by BatMUD to your game client. Here you can define your preferred colour to each and every one of them separately (after changing blue to something else, it will still have the label "blue", even though it may be coloured e.g. red)
- For example, the default output from the game is "white", choosing white in client and selecting a colour from the colour palette will change all *new input* sent by the game (in that colour) to your new, preferred colour of choice
- Should you want to have all and every possible input in e.g. black, you coould change every colour to be back from the palette (see for a faster way below)

In addition, there's an option to "disable" ANSI colours altogether, however it will retain all output in whatever colour you have defined under (white). This should remove all other "ANSI effects" (e.g. bold text) as well.

Game-side there's also the command "term", which should read "ansi" when you hit "term<enter>" when logging in with Batclient.

Hope this helps!
Amarth
A r c h w i z a r d
Level:
600 [Wizard]

02 May 2012 22:15

Ahhhh HA! That did it!

I see what you mean... I was choosing JUST "ansi color" at the bottom of the list (it was already black, too) and choosing black. I thought "ansi color" universally changed everything, like it was the default for everything.

I changed all of the white colors to black and left the other colors for now (they are more rare so shouldn't be a bother) and VOILA, just what I wanted. :)

Thanks again for all of your trouble.

NOW I can play. I'll let you know when I am doing a write up.

Thanks a ton,

Beau
beaugh
1d, 4h, 15m, 40s old
Level: